Search This Blog

Tuesday, 7 April 2015

13th April 2015
7.30pm in the Victoria Rooms Fore Street


Questions from the Public.
Members of the public are welcome to attend and address the Parish Council to provide information and raise matters of concern.

  1. Apologies
Members will be expected to provide reasons for absence. Members are reminded that absence for 6 consecutive meetings without approval could lead to disqualification.
  1. Declarations of Interest
The Code of Conduct requires that Members disclose interests of a
personal, prejudicial and pecuniary nature that may be pertinent to tonight's business. A prejudicial or pecuniary interest will require the member to leave the room during the discussion of the relevant item.
In cases of uncertainty members are recommended to consult the Clerk.
  1. Minutes and Matters Arising from minutes
The Minutes of the meeting held on 2nd February have been circulated with the summons to this meeting. Members will be asked to consider them for accuracy and if satisfied pass a resolution of approval that they be signed by the Chairman as a true and accurate record.
The Actions from the last meeting will be considered unless elsewhere on the agenda.
  1. Planning
    1. For Parish Council Decision
4.2 For Parish Council Comment
  1. Creedwell
The Chairman will provide a report on the present situation.
  1. Crime
Members will receive and comment on the monthly crime report.
  1. Roads and Footpaths
a) Monthly Footpath Report
Mrs Lumby will report on the footpaths.
b) Roads
      1. Monthly Report
Members will discuss current road issues.
      1. Speed Watch and Community Speed Indicator Device
Members will discuss proposals for a new Speed Camera and taking responsibility for a Speed Indicator Device
III) Taunton Triathlon 2015
  1. Public Toilets
  2. Community Defibrillator
Mr Cotton will give an update
  1. Milverton Trust: Licence for Street Fair to Use Jubilee Gardens
Councillors will consider the terms of a licence.
  1. Preston Bowyer Phone Box
Mr Hendy will give an update.
  1. Internet
a) Milverton Website
Mr Hendy will give an update
b) Milverton Parish Council Facebook page
Mr Phelps will set out the pros and cons.
  1. Telecommunications
a) Mobile Phone Coverage
Mrs Hoyle will report a proposal from Vodaphone to improve local coverage.
b) Landline Problems
Mrs Lumby will report on local connection problems.
  1. Annual Parish Meeting
The Clerk will report on the format and agenda items for this year's meeting.
  1. Milverton Parish Council Grant Policy: 2015 Review
  2. Correspondence
  3. Finance
a) Monthly report
The monthly report will request payments for Salaries, PAYE, and gardening
b) Audit 2014/15
The Clerk will set out the arrangements for this years audit.
  1. Matters to Report
Members are invited to report matters of interest and raise matters of concern for future consideration by the Council, including items from the following external bodies:
Twinning; Victoria Rooms; Milverton United Charities; SALC; Traffic Working Party; Youth Project; Milverton Trust; Milverton Action Group and 10 Parishes.
Milverton Parish Council Report
Meeting held on 2nd March 2015

14 members of the public attended the March meeting of Milverton Parish Council to participate in the discussion on Taunton Deane's Preferred Sites consultation. Considerable concern was expressed about the prospect of 20 new house in Butts Way because of increased traffic and impacts on the landscape and street scene. Councillors agreed that these impacts would be significant and resolved to reiterate their original comments that Milverton is not suitable for large scale development. Given the village's topography, street layout, traffic flows, landscape setting and designation as an Outstanding Heritage Settlement, small developments of 4-6 houses grouped around the village would be the most suitable method of expanding the housing stock and delivering the right mix of housing to meet the needs of a community that wishes to grow organically whilst retaining its character.

Councillors also discussed the prospect of a small development at Olands. They acknowledged that this was not in the consultation but were aware that the landowner was making a case for inclusion. It was agreed to make a reference to this to check what input the Parish Council might have in the event of this site being included at a later date.

Cllr Wren reported that Taunton Deane Borough Council (TDBC) had recently voted a further £80,000 from reserves to help the transition of public toilets to Parish Councils. He was not aware of how this would be effected but will keep the Council informed.

The Clerk reported that TDBC was steadfastly refusing to replace its broken litter bin on St Michaels Hill. He said he would try again but there had not even been an acknowledgement that the bin belonged to TDBC. Councillors were very unhappy and pointed out that Milverton Council tax payments went to a central pool that provided bins (and toilets) in Taunton but that Parishes were expected to fend for themselves. This double taxation on rural communities is a very vexed question which is being looked at by TDBC at the moment.

Under Creedwell the Chairman reported that the application had been removed from the last Planning Committee agenda at the last minute and looked like being delayed indefinitely. The application had been submitted almost a year ago and Councillors were very unhappy that it seemed to be no closer to resolution. The Chairman said he would write to TDBC to ask why an application that was so obviously under prepared had been allowed to run along for so long.

The Crime report showed a few minor altercations and one incident of failing to keep a dog under control.

Cllr Roger Cotton reported that he had met the electrical contractor and had agreed with the Victoria Rooms where the Community Defibrillator would be housed. He was hopeful that it would be installed fairly soon. Councillors thanked him for his efforts in delivering this asset to the village.

Councillors had visited the Preston Bowyer phone box and its proposed new location at the school. Cllr Robert Hendy had agreed to lead the project to organise its careful removal, refurbishing and remounting.

Councillors approved a grant request for £200 from the Milverton Trust to set up the new Village website. It was anticipated that the Trust would be able to give a demonstration in mid March. Apparently it will be similar to the new Wiveliscombe site and Councillors were invited to have a look to get an impression of how Milverton's will be.

Councillors continued to be frustrated by the slow roll out of Superfast Broadband in the village. The telephone exchange was upgraded in April 2014 and half the village now had access. However, the other half is still on the slower system with no definite date of when that will improve. Councillors simply could not understand why Open Reach, using public money were being allowed to leave a job half finished. Cllr Wren said he would raise the matter again with the County Council but there seemed to be little sense of urgency there.

Councillors were given advance notice that the Election would be called on 16th March. Several have indicated their intention to stand down, the Council is therefore on the look out for prospective candidates, because an election will ensure it retains its Quality Council status.

The Council spent £554 on salaries and expense in February.

Under matters to report the Clerk was asked to report fly tipping near the old tip, a new road entrance on the Wiveliscombe road and uncovered miscantus trucks showering the village with debris which is blocking drains.

The next meeting, which will be the last before the election, will be held on Monday 13th April in the Victoria Rooms at 7.30pm. The Annual Parish Meeting will be held on Wednesday 15th April in the Victoria Rooms at 7pm.