Search This Blog

Tuesday, 9 April 2013

Brief Report of the meeting of Milverton Parish Council held on 8th April 2013

Tributes were paid to the late Peter Lacey the Secretary of the Somerset Association of Local Councils. He was praised for his inexhaustible knowledge, energy and unfailing good humour. The Council will be represented at the funeral by Mrs Hoyle.

Councillors discussed the S106 funds that were available for children play and recreation as a result of a development  in Preston Bowyer. Initial discussions had been held with the Recreation Ground committee and several items of play equipment were in need of replacement. Councillors agreed that this would be worth considering in more detail and the Clerk was asked to establish what was needed to submit a bid to Taunton Deane. The Parish Council will also be asking for further suggestions at the Annual Parish meeting on 23rd April.

Given the range of amenity matters that were arising Councillors agreed to establish an Amenity Committee. The members chosen were the Chairman, Mr R Jenkins, Mrs R Renfree, Mrs G Lumby, Mr T Phelps and Mrs J Hoyle.

The Council considered a request from the Garden Club to plant more bulbs in the Jubilee Gardens to provide some more colour early in the year. Councillors thought that this was a good idea but felt that the gardens probably needed a more wide ranging refurbishment. It was agreed that this would be passed to the newly inaugurated Amenity Committee.

Councillors were asked to consider giving grants towards a fire alarm system for the Victoria Rooms and a display cabinet for the Village Archive. Both decisions were deferred whilst further information was sought.
There was also a discussion about the village Firework display and the extent that the Parish Council could assist. Councillors felt that there needed to be a formal organising group established before the Council could engage any further.

The closure of the informal path down by the Hillfarrance Brook was discussed. Councillors noted that the formal footpath application had been submitted and that a decision might take five years. The new Amenity Committee will consider approaching the landowner for an agreement to try and get access restored on a permissive basis.
In the meantime the gate from Turnpike was locked and the only way to the existing footpath was over a stile that was causing problems for both dogs and elderly walkers. Somerset County Council had been approached to install a kissing gate.

The Annual Parish Meeting will be held on 23rd April. The agenda will include:
  • The S106 Funds
  • A site for the Preston Bowyer Phone Box
  • The Future of the Public Toilets
  • The Neighbourhood Plan and Village Survey
  • The Village Clean Up
  • Creedwell Orchard
Following the Clerk being awarded a Certificate in Local Council Administration it was agreed that Milverton Parish Council now met the legal criteria for designation as a Quality Council. Councillors agreed to formally debate recognition of that status and the acceptance of the Power of Competence at the next meeting.
Diary Dates
22nd April Allotments Meeting. Victoria Rooms 7pm
23rd April Annual Parish Meeting. Victoria Rooms 7pm
13th May Annual Parish Council Meeting. Victoria Rooms 7.30pm

Monday, 1 April 2013

Milverton Parish Council

31st March 2013

7.30pm in the Victoria Rooms Fore Street


Questions from the Public.
Members of the public are welcome to attend and address the Parish Council to provide information and raise matters of concern.
  1. Apologies
Members will be expected to provide reasons for absence. Members are reminded that absence for 6 consecutive meetings without approval could lead to disqualification.
  1. Declarations of Interest
The Code of Conduct requires that Members disclose interests of a personal, prejudicial and pecuniary nature that may be pertinent to tonight's business. A prejudicial or pecuniary interest will require the member to leave the room during the discussion of the relevant item.
In cases of uncertainty members are recommended to consult the Clerk.
  1. Minutes and Matters Arising from minutes
The Minutes of the meeting held on 4th March have been circulated with the summons to this meeting. Members will be asked to consider them for accuracy and if satisfied pass a resolution of approval that they be signed by the Chairman as a true and accurate record.
  1. Planning
a) Village Survey/Neighbourhood Plan
The Chairman will provide a report on progress.
b) S106 Monies
Councillors will get the opportunity to suggest projects before the subject is brought to the Annual Parish meeting.
c) Other Planning Matters
The Clerk will provide a report about other general planning matters and suggest a date for the next site visit.
  1. Creedwell
The Chairman will provide a verbal update.
  1. Jubilee Gardens
The Garden Club has offered to plant bulbs and is seeking the Council's permission.
  1. Crime
The Police Report for February and March will be presented.
  1. Grants
The Council has had grant requests from
a) Victoria Rooms
Towards the cost of a fire alarm system.
b) Milverton Archive
Towards the purchase of a Display cabinet
c) Annual Firework Display
Councillors are asked to consider whether the Parish Council should offer contribute towards the costs?
  1. Roads and Footpaths
a) Monthly Footpath Report
Mrs Lumby will report on the footpaths.
b) Turnpike Hillfarrance Brook Access Proposal
The Clerk will propose a draft agreement for access to be negotiated with the landowner.
c) Houndsmoor Street Light
Members will consider whether to contribute to the cost of installing an extra light on Houndsmoor Hill.
d)Triathlon 2013
Members will discuss the road management proposals.
e) Monthly Road Report
Members will raise issues of concern.
  1. Annual Parish Meeting 23rd April 2013
The Clerk will propose agenda items and invite comments and suggestions for alternatives.
  1. Amenity Committee
The Chairman has asked that Councillors consider the formation of an Amenity Committee to assist with village events.
  1. Correspondence
Invitations to Quantock Eco event and Western Power Event
  1. Finance
a) Monthly report
The monthly report will request payments for Salaries, PAYE,
b) Victoria Rooms Grant
  1. Milverton Parish Council Quality Status
A discussion on the merits of seeking Quality status.
  1. Matters to Report
Members are invited to report matters of interest and raise matters of concern for future consideration by the Council.

There are no planning applications to consider this month.